How to Save Money and Still Have a Great Summer Barbecue!
It’s summertime and the grillin’ is easy… but too often inviting just a few friends over for a backyard cookout can blow your grocery budget sky-high! Here are a few ways that you can save money and still have the best summer barbecue ever.
- Buy the Right Grill: Let’s start with the right grill. Sure, you can buy Viking outdoor kitchens that will do everything but cook for you, but if you’re looking to save money, then take time to determine exactly what your family needs. If you entertain a lot, then obviously you’ll need more grilling surfaces. Buy something that’s sturdy and will last for several seasons.
- Take Care of That Grill!: While we’re on the subject, all grills will last longer (and therefore save you money in the long run) if you take good care of them. Clean your grill after each use, and oil the grate before you use it.
- Don’t Overspend on Meat: It’s easy to go overboard on meat, which many people think of as the centerpiece of the barbecue. Look for alternatives that will give you the same end result: choose skirt or flank steak instead of porterhouse, use chicken wings and thighs instead of more expensive breasts (and they’ll stand up to grilling better!), and trade that tuna steak for bluefish or mackerel.
- Change the Flavor: Bored with hamburgers? Swap flavors by stuffing them with blue cheese, barbecue sauce, bacon bits or garlic before grilling. You can wrap hot dogs in bacon to please even the heartiest meat-eaters in your group.
- Learn How Much Fuel to Use: A lot of people use more charcoal on their grills than they need, or preheat gas grills longer than they require. Grill on high to sear, and then lower the heat to cook. Don’t forget to turn the grill off as soon as you’ve burned off the last of your debris, too! Monitor your fuel consumption for an easy way to save some cash.
- Get to Know Us: At Bliss Shurfine Food Mart, we hand-cut meat and are happy to consult with you about the best cuts for your event. Tell us that you’re looking to save money, and we can make recommendations accordingly.
- Learn How to Grill Correctly: Cooking on a grill is different from cooking inside, and the best way to lose money fast is to burn your food! YouTube has some great videos that will teach you how to respect and treat your grill—and your grilled food.
Have a great grilling summer from everyone here at Bliss Shurfine Food Mart!